Makeup is sure addicting. All the glitz and glamour that I feel from wearing it makes me feel great, and it sure helped boost the little self-esteem I barely had. However, I’m learning there’s a balance to have so we don’t over or under indulge ourselves. I’ve gotten to a point where I’ve over indulged and now all the purchases that I’ve made don’t make me feel good anymore. Does that happen to anyone else?
But this is a good feeling to have because at least I can change my situation quite easily. I guess I’m not happy that I have to dip into savings to pay off my credit card bill this month, and it looks like I’ll be taking $500 instead of the $300 I initially thought. It’s not sitting well with me, which brings me to what I’ve learned from it all:
- Find your style and forget the trends. If you don’t, you’ll be buying a lot of ‘stuff’ and possibly tossing a lot away. Buy what makes you feel happy and what makes you feel comfortable and confident in yourself. Forget trends until after you build up a good base.
- Buy basics and/or multi-taskers. Skincare. Hair care. Makeup. Clothing. With clothing and makeup, these items should multi-task and transition through multiple seasons. Don’t buy an expensive event dress, only to be used for one or two times out of the year and end up collecting dust in your closet.
- Create an everyday uniform for work. This includes clothing and makeup. Clothing and makeup for work should help you feel comfortable and confident so your main focus is work.
- Makeup has a shelf life. I seriously just learned this today, what being a newbie and all. If you look closely at your makeup labels, it’ll show an image like the one below, but I’m sure many of you already know this. Don’t hoard makeup since it expires. Buy what you need to save yourself some money.
- Skincare also has a shelf life so buy what you need and don’t hoard.
- Luxury handbags are overrated. At least where I live. It was thrilling when I bought my first one, however, I’m pretty rough with my bags. So when I wear my designer bag, I feel like I’m walking on eggshells out of fear of spilling liquids on it. You know spending over a grand for a bag hurts. Not sure I want self-inflicted stress in my life.
- As women we have to draw the line with our spending so we could also be investors. I’m currently realizing this, and I’m taking a stand for change so I can get back to saving and investing.
- Budget. I think I’m going to create a monthly budget for beauty products, clothing, and accessories.
I still love Korean skincare. I’m addicted and I just want to try everything. Ok, maybe not everything, but at least enough to know what my favorite brands are and be able to explain why. Currently, I get a few breakouts here and there, but regardless of my breakouts along my chin, the rest of my skin looks great.
My goal is to prevent early signs of aging and with diligence comes benefits of great makeup application. I think I used to stray from wearing too much because I like a more natural everyday look. Then again I didn’t know any better about skincare, which I’ve realized is an important base for a natural look. With how Korean skincare transformed my skin, I’m actually more curious than ever about makeup. Who knew it was all about a good base for natural application?
Currently with the change in weather, I’m not using as much products as when I first started. I still wash my face twice a day, and it’s not really so much of a wash, but more the use of micellar water to remove makeup or other impurities from my face. That or makeup remover wipes. I still use a toner and on rare occasions I skip that step when I’m feeling super lazy. It’s been many days of feeling this way, since coming back from vacation, so lately it’s been cleanse, toner, and Innisfree’s green tea moisture serum. At night, I’ll put on a moisturizer but that’s really been it. In the morning after applying the green tea moisture serum, I follow up with sunscreen. I guess I’m lucky with Bay Area weather not being so desert dry. With that being said, TGIF folks! Hope you all have a fantastic weekend! It’s finally starting to warm up over here, and finally starting to feel like spring!
I’m so stoked that I live near a Face Shop! I bought a few face masks today out of sheer curiosity since they’re buy one get one free for only $3. I also picked up a blush for $9, and an oil cleanser for $16. It’s awesome knowing I can just pop in to try stuff out! I saw a lot of makeup products so I know I’m going to be back for more!
Store prices ranged from decently priced to fairly expensive. Expensive being $40 and up especially the products by Sulwhasoo.
I’m so happy I live close to a Face Shop because I really love Korean skincare. I’m so addicted ever since I’ve seen a major difference to my makeup application. No cakiness and no dry patches. I just don’t see myself going back!
I have been into stress relieving products lately. Finding this scented lotion is one of them.
It’s been awhile (okay years) since I popped into a Bath and Body Works and I’m amazed how different the products and packaging look. I can’t believe they have a whole line of lotion infused with essential oils. Apparently it’s supposed to be stress relieving, but we’ll see.
When I walked in, I was a little overwhelmed with all the products displayed. I went around smelling the lotions and landed on this one since the scent isn’t as strong as the rest. I still love my Vaseline Intensive Care lotion, but it’s nice to test out products here and there.
The lotion cost $15.50. I’m pretty sure they have deals to get it for less. I just happened to walk in at a bad time.
Just tried Pacifica’s pollution fighting Sheetmask. Oh boy does it tingle my face! I had to take it off by the 15th minute mark. Not that it hurt or anything, but it tingled a little more than I liked. It was $3.99 for the sheetmask, which I guess is an ok price? After taking it off, I needed to put moisturizer over my face because it felt dry compared to the Milk masks from A’pieu. With those masks I can generally skip the moisturizer step. I know this because yesterday I tried Pacifica’s Stress Relief mask and the next morning a pimple popped up on my face. I’m assuming it’s because I didn’t put moisturizer afterward, which is why there was an over production of sebum happening. So now I have to babysit this sistic pimple and wait until it surfaces.
Update: After waking up the next morning, no additional pimples popped up. So for others who think going without moisturizer is okay after a sheetmask, think twice! Put on some moisturizer.
So my husband got into skincare as well. For him, he’s going the more organic route by using natural products like manuka honey as a mask and jojoba oil mixed in to moisturizer. Because his skin type is different from mine, he is using the AHA/BHA for toner followed by the snail mucin essence and moisturizer.
We both share the AHA/BHA toner and snail mucin essence. When I have a breakout, I’ll spot treat using AHA/BHA especially when it’s a deep pimple. Lately, I’ve been skipping the snail mucin essence in the morning for lack of time. Although when I’m feeling extra dry or skin looking really dull, I’ll add it back to the routine.
So as you can see in the picture above and from previous posts, we still have a lot of skincare to use up before we can start trying other products. Currently we have 3 moisturizers, an eye cream, 3 toners, a moisture serum, and snail mucin essence all not close to the halfway mark. I still feel like these products will last us another month or so. By then it’ll be warmer days, and who knows what that’ll do to our skin.
I just tried the green tea milk mask, and WOW. For those who are sensitive to smell, this mask will probably be too fragrant for you. It’s really strong like obnoxiously strong that I’m close to getting a headache from it. I thought I would like the green tea mask because I love the smell of Innisfree’s green tea serum and moisturizer, but this is just too much. For those who love putting on perfume, this mask is for you. The best time to use it would be just before you head out the door because you won’t even need to put any perfume on since this mask will do it for you.
Anyway, the other mask which is the white milk mask barely has a scent to it so it’s freaking perfect for those who are scent sensitive. For me I actually really like the white milk mask. It feels cozy for some reason, but still relaxing. You know how masks are usually cooling when you put it on? Well this wasn’t as cooling or breathable, but rather insulating if that makes any sense. I actually really like the feeling. The results however are fantastic. The mask makes my skin feel so soft and smooth.